Essential Secrets 24: Embrace Technology
Using the Tools that Accelerate Learning
Learning to play the bass is typically an old-fashioned activity. You spend hours perfecting your craft. There is a master/apprentice system in private lessons, with most instruction being done just as it has been for generations.
Though many bass players practice in a traditional way, you should take advantage of all the current tools that substantially increase your learning speed. These devices offer you time-savings, increased physical comfort, and greater enjoyment. Some of the innovative technologies available today include:
· Accompaniment Software: Improves your knowledge of the music you’re learning and makes practicing more fun.
· Adjustable Playback Systems: CD players and software are available that will slow down a recording while keeping the pitch constant.
· Ergonomic Equipment: There are chairs designed to help your posture, extremely lightweight cases that are easy to carry, padded shoulder straps that increase comfort, and even new instrument designs that increase playability.
· Online Resources: Videos, ear-training, music theory, online metronomes, downloadable sheet music, bass tutorials, recordings, lessons, and much more are all waiting for you online.
· Digital Recorders and Camcorders: Seeing is believing. Get instant visual and aural feedback that will help you improve your technique, phrasing, posture, and onstage demeanor.
· Cell Phone Apps: Scale libraries, virtual basses, metronomes, tuners, and more are available in the palm of your hand.
· Advanced Metronomes: Modern metronomes and drum machines allow bassists to program specific beats and endless loops to aid practicing.
· Sound Attenuation: Need to practice without disturbing people around you? This issue stops many bassists from getting in their daily practicing. Play through headphones or play your electric bass without plugging it into an amp. You can even get a prefabricated, soundproof practice room installed in your home!
New musical technologies are being created all the time. They allow bass players to advance faster than ever before. By incorporating the latest technology into your dedicated practice schedule, you’ll get the best of the old and the new.
Books by David Motto:
THE TEN MINUTE
FOR ELECTRIC BASS
COMPLETE 3-VOL. SET