SAMPLES FROM THIS TITLE
The samples are in pdf format and do require Adobe Acrobat Reader to be installed.Click Here for the Table of ContentsClick Here for Sample #1 (Bill Bailey)Click Here for Sample #2 (Linda Chicana)
Like the earlier Real Easy Books, Vol.3: A Short History Of Jazz" includes easy, but classic, jazz tunes on one page, and all the things a band director might have to write out for their students on each facing page. Vol. 3 is unique, however, because the tune selection includes 5-10 songs from each historical era of jazz--from Dixieland to Swing to Bebop to Afro-Cuban Jazz, and more. In addition, Vol.3 has an entertaining and informative history text introducing each section, including the musical innovations that happened in each era. All in all, a perfect teaching tool for any jazz educator, as well as just a great fake book! This is the Bass Clef version.
What is the job of all jazz educators?
- To expose their kids to the wide world of jazz
- To help them to enjoy learning how to improvise
- To help them discover the particular kind of jazz that will inspire them themost.
This fake book/history text will help you do that more than any other singlepublication available!
Easy, but classic, jazz tunes from all eras and styles of jazz!
- Traditional Jazz©
- The Swing Era
- Classic Bebop
- West Coast Jazz
- The Blue Note Era
- Contemporary Jazz
- "Groove" Jazz
- Afro-Cuban and Brazilian Jazz
History text in front of each sectiondescribes each era and its musical innovations. These short histories of each style ofjazz really give the flavor of each era, as well as a discussion of the contributions of each one to the evolution of the music.
Educational material - Page 2 of each tuneincludes all the things a band director might need to write out for their students:
- Scales for Soloing
- Piano Voicings
- Complete chorus of a Sample Bass Line
- Guitar Diagrams, etc.
Educational material developed in conjunction with Stanford Jazz Workshop. It works!
- Each era includes both beginning and intermediate level tunes.
- Features 5-10 tunes from each historical era of jazz. The wide variety of stylesincluded means that every jazz combo will be able to find exactly the material that fitstheir needs.
- Separate horn harmonies parts for some of the Trad Jazz tunes (to give that authenticDixieland feeling)
- Many extras - like sample drum grooves, sample comping patterns, Mark Levine essay on scales and chords, complete discography, great photos,etc.
- Tune selection includes a generous helping of "non-swing" tunes to help younger players gain a foothold into jazz.
The end result is a multi-dimensional teaching toolthat will keep band directors and their students smiling all year long!